Friday, September 24, 2010

I Am No Longer Young


I am 70 in my years.
I can no longer see out of my one eye.
My hearing is unreliable.
My breath is not always pleasant and I
grouch and growl at misunderstood sounds.
My nose is crusty and miserable with allergies.
I can no longer easily get in and out of a car, nor arise
from my spot on the sofa without a grunt or a groan.
I have turned grey and I am covered in spots and warts that
make me avoid looking into mirrors, for I no longer recognize myself.
I am snappish at times because my bones ache and I
have little tolerance for loud rambunctious children.

I enjoy my naps and my dreams of youth.
My memories of my family are happy ones.
I was rescued just as I was being trampled by larger
companions. I was quite ill and assumed I
would never find a loving home.

My family loved me on sight, nursed me to health
and I have been fed and sheltered ever since.
I enjoy a much younger companion named Howie.
I think I would be called a "cougar".

I am no longer young, but I am proud and honest and loyal.

Age is a blessing and a curse..
and a bitch like me..

Bitch [BI ch]
noun
1. a female dog

Please join Razmataz for this week's photo challenge - age

Justice


Create Change - The World Will Thank You
Project Genesis October 1st

No comments:

Post a Comment