Tuesday, November 16, 2010

GREY SHOES

CEREAL IS EXPENSIVE IN NEW YORK
While watching Darling Daughter munch on some
generic brand of cereal while on iChat, I inquired why she
was munching cardboard.
"Mom, cereal is so expensive here."


So I have the brilliant idea to send her some cereal as a hOOt,
and buy her a couple boxes of Quaker Oat Squares her fave.
Running very late yesterday, I cram the cereal into a flat rate
box and grabbing shoes from the shoe basket on the stairs I head out.
I'm sure it has occurred to most of you that paying about
10.00 for 2 boxes of cereal and 10.00 for the flat rate box, this was
not an economical move, but more one of mother love.

I join the line at the post office just before they lock the doors,
out of breath and grasping a box that shakes with the sound of well, cereal.
The line is pretty jammed up, everyone standing uncomfortably
close to each other. You wish you could check your breath
in your palm or sneak a pit sniff, but no room. When trying to act nonchalant,
I tend to stare off into the distance or stare at the floor. I chose down.
Stared at my shoes. Notice anything? Look again.... sigh

I had been running errands for about 4 hours wearing two different shoes.
This awareness starts me to chuckling and nearly talking out loud to myself.
Perhaps I was, because the woman in front of me turned around
with a disapproving look, so I simply pointed down to my feet.
She looked, paused, looked again and then harumphed
and turned back around... which made me snort and hiccup burp as
I considered what she would think if she was aware
I was clutching a box of cereals that I was mailing to New York.

Of course this has nothing to do with White Wednesday
so here is some white : 0



If you missed my last two posts check them out, loads more white!
As my then 15 year old son used to say
"where Christmas goes to throw up..."

Please join Kathleen over at Faded Charm for another WW.
and double check your shoes during the holiday hustle.

Suzan

No comments:

Post a Comment