Monday, September 17, 2012

Shoes and Sighs

Dearest son was here for the weekend.
We dined out and at home,
chatted much, sipped white wine one day,
red the next,
...watched the Steelers.
Heavenly stuff to a Mama who misses him so.

I glanced down at his shoes yesterday, and was
shocked, appalled, dismayed at their condition...
Not just old and shabby,
but literally falling apart.
"Oh BEN!"

"What?"

"Your shoes!"

"Yeah, so?....
They're comfortable."




"ARGHHHHHHHH!"

I expected to see newsprint poking out a-la Depression.
He loved  loves these shoes.
Had them resoled once.
Then couldn't a second time..
SHOULDN'T a second time..
in Mom's opinion anyway.


I have to beg my kids 
to let me buy them anything.
Perhaps they fear that in old age I will descend upon them 
if my funds run dry...

But I wheedled and pulled out the big guns..
"But it will make me so happy to do this for you."

BIG sigh son...OK

Off to the stores this morning.
Now I don't DO malls...EVER..

so we started with smaller independent places
 and when that failed, I was forced to venture
into the most dreaded of places.
a Mall..ugh, spit, retch...
After up and down escalators
and the lengths both ways,
Success!
Beautiful new boots that he pondered over 
for some time.
I swear I've bought cars faster.

We caught a quick lunch and headed home where
 he could hop in his car and head back to LA.
I said let me shoot those shoes..
I wanted proof and agreement from other Moms
that these shoes sucked, no really..C'mon!

Hugs and kisses, I love yous all around...and....

"Uh Mom, you know I'm still gonna wear these right?"

BIG sigh Mama...Yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment