Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Canine Dermatology

If anyone wants a free course in canine dermatology, see: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/review/Dermatology/History/principles1.htm

I myself have never had a "hot spot" problem or allergy issue with any of my dogs ever, while everyone else in my family has (we have all had terriers, and nothing else, our whole lives).

Without any proof whatsoever, I think one factor in my good fortune is that my dogs are not "house dogs" that spend all their lives on a couch next to human soaps, cleaners, fabric softeners, and the like.

My dogs can lay out in the sun (nature's own antiseptic), and get a little dirt in their coat too. I wash my dogs with the cheapest flea shampoo I can find once a week in season, and I also use bar soap on them. Nothing fancy here! As for food, I use Purina (with an occassional frozen chicken wing tossed on top), and have never had a problem on that score either.

Am I lucky, or is an outside life better for a dog's coat? I don't know, but my dogs are in rocking good health and that includes their coats. Yes, I count my blessings.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment