Monday, November 9, 2009

Digging on the Dogs






The weather was fine yesterday, but the dogs and I both know that will change soon.

The groundhogs are not yet in hibernation, but the leaves are swirling off the trees, and the tall weeds are starting to die back. Large flocks of blackbirds are forming for their migrations south, and the deer are in rut and starting to go crazy from the hormones surging through their system. I counted four dead deer and a red fox on the highway this morning.

The owner of this land wants fewer groundhog on the farm because they break down the creek bank. I have reduced the population considerably, but there are still a few about.

Pearl bolted a small groundhog into the creek, where the dogs grabbed it just before I tailed it out and dispatched it very quickly and with a minimum of fuss. I placed it on the edge of the field where the red fox patrol.

Everything in nature is recycled.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment