Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St Patrick's Day WW


This is the Furnessia
Service speed 14 knots, 1,359 passengers
445 feet long, 44 feet wide.
She sailed out of Glasgow, and arrived at Ellis Island Feb 19, 1903
My Great Grandfather Robert Carton(27), his wife Sarah(22), and my
Grandmother Nettie( 9 mo), had left Pumperton, Ireland for a new life.

When I look at this ship and realize what they dared to do, the bravery that was
required, the hope and dreams they must have clung to, I am in awe.
Ireland came to my children from my side and from their father's side.
It is the only place in this world that I yearn to visit. Does Ireland call
all her children home again?

This is not a typical WW I know- but here is why I MckLinky'd anyway:
To make sure you all knew about this site. If you have relatives that came through
Ellis Island, you need to try a search. Please let me know who you find.

When Irish eyes are smiling,
Tis like a morn in spring.
With a lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing
When Irish hearts are happy
All the world is bright and gay
When Irish eyes are smiling
Sure, they steal your heart away

No comments:

Post a Comment