Tuesday, May 10, 2011

JUST TUESDAY


Darling Daughter coming home 
tomorrow. I must go to Costco to buy
her favorite muffins.
The chocolate, poppy seed, blueberry combo.

She nibbles on them for hours leaving
 a trail of crumbs as she goes.
The house will be filled with her laugh.
Loud and contagious, she never holds back
 and lets it rip at the oddest things..at least to me
they seem odd and vice versa I suppose.

The only thing that would make it perfect
 is if my Dearest Son was coming home with her.
Mama loves to have both her chicklets home.  

I left home at 22 and never lived even
 remotely near my family again, 
except for two very brief times that 
 I managed to move back there, only to get 
yanked back west once more.
It was not to be.
Not by choice, I longed to move back 
my entire adult life, as every
 Sunday my Dad would ask, 
"When are you coming home?"

How I wish Skype and free long distance
 existed back then. How I wish I had been able to visit home more often. How hard this was for my folks, and I do not believe I fully comprehended until these past 2 years with both my kids so very far away.
Holidays of all sorts spent without my family
back then, and now history is repeating itself.

I am thrilled they are living full, exciting lives;
that they are responsible, self supporting adults 
of good character and kindness,
 but oh, how I miss them.

I will selfishly hoard all the memories of this summer,
as next summer DD begins living full time 
in New York in her new apartment. 
I am beyond grateful that both my kids 
live in the same city and see each other frequently, 
and adore each other.
These are the final months of a child living at home. 
From now on it is only visits.

Every Sunday I will be asking
"When are you coming home?"

Suzan

No comments:

Post a Comment