Monday, September 19, 2011

The Gideon Mountain Hunt Rides Again

My hunting licenses are always a fun thing to get. I have two licenses -- a nonresident in Maryland, and a resident in Virginia. The former costs me quite a bit, and I probably don't need it as groundhogs are not considered furbearers, and most of the land I hunt on is private, but I like to turn square corners on all paperwork, and besides I am not opposed to funding the good men and women of two state Departments of Natural Resources.

That said, on the Maryland side, along with a full nonresident hunting license, I also buy a group furbearer license which covers group "fox chasing" by a foot pack or mounted hunt. Most of these group fox chasing licenses are obtained by outfits where the "day trippers" drive $50,000 Landrovers, put well-oiled saddles on $10,000 horses, and ride off (never so much as seeing a fox) while wearing $500 velvet jackets. I am a little more low-rent and low-tech, but I have no problem filling out the line where it lists the "name of hunt."

The "Gideon Mountain Hunt" rides again!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment