Sunday, December 1, 2013

85-31-54

Today would have been my father's 85th birthday.

It is also my 31st wedding anniversary.  

My father was my age now when I got married. Something to think about, but I have no deep thoughts other than a little more empathy for my folks when their youngest was first to get married to a woman 10 years his senior.

My youngest is now older than I was when I got married. I mentioned this to my wife, but she says I was not your average 24 year old.  She is right of course. People are like cars; it's not the age of the vehicle but the miles they have rolled, and by the age of 24 I had rolled quite a lot. Not as many as my father and mother had by the same age, of course.  They were, and are, extraordinary individuals who managed to rise out of small town Kentucky and Kansas to see nearly every inch of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment