Sunday, December 26, 2010

No Picture

I searched for a photo to show contentment-
something that signifies those big sigh moments.

The feeling is too deep, too personal,
too all encompassing with goodness and light 
and the belief in miracles and hope for our futures,
and I know it is so damnable fleeting,
so I grasp it leaving small holes where I clutched it 
to my breast with a sigh of such contentment 
my heart could burst.

No photos were taken yesterday, I could not pry myself 
away from being "in the moment" 
each blink of each moment
to get behind the lens and try to focus anything worthwhile. 
(and I'm SO bad at it anyway)
I will regret not having them, and curse 
my lazy butt for not at least trying to capture
the feelings, the laughter.
They are burned instead into my memory, 
a few more precious private moments
 with my children, mother to child.

It is truly all I will leave them.
Oh, I have imparted much wisdom to 
rolled back eyes and sighs of
"not again Mom" but I know it is the quiet 
memories that will live on in my children's hearts.
There will be tales told of how
 I mispronounce dinosaur every time, 
(and I wonder why the word comes up so damn often)
 and how I far too frequently need to "plan" what we are to do next, much to their dismay.

But when these tales are told it will be with love and 
humor as to who this Mother was to these children.

This day after, I hope you are nestled
 in the arms of those you love and 
are continuing to create magical
memories of your own.

Suzan

Note to self: 
Next year Z, hire a photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment