Sunday, July 29, 2012

Small Packages - St Anthony - Gifts



This fella decided to perch on a string of lights today
 just outside
the window above my kitchen sink...
he perched there for a long time....
left .....
returned and stayed a while longer
off and on
for hours


I decided that he liked his reflection in the glass.
He was less than 5 inches from the window and I watched his beak open and close, open and close as I stood directly in front of him
at the sink.

...and because I know some of you enjoy my
misadventures I will relate my latest.

The front yard was in dire need of a cleanup 
so yesterday I did just that, blowing an enormous pile of debris up and toward the garage door to be bagged.
Not wanting to blow it into the garage,
I hit the coded box and lowered the door.
Now that seems reasonable enough, 
but what you should know is that I have been having trouble with the code box for some time, and lately it has been working 
about 5% of the time.
the other 95% of the time was the hundreds of times
 I kept pounding
 those buttons to no avail.

Yep 104 degree heat and I am locked out.
 I failed to unlock any of the other doors 
into the house.
Do I have an extra emergency key?
yep, hidden INSIDE the garage..
phone, yep, took one INTO the garage..

Go to a neighbor and call a friend, the one
who has another spare key?
She has an unlisted number and I don't know it.
it is programmed into the phone..
INSIDE the garage.
90 minutes pass
90 MINUTES!!!!

hit the four digit code
repeat
code
repeat
code
repeat

Meanwhile I kept working
in between retreating to the shade of the backyard,
and smacking my forehead..
hard 

Now here is where my kids would do an eye roll
Said a very fervent prayer to St Anthony....
tried twice more 
and she rolled up easy peasy.

The best gifts come in small packages.
a hummingbird
an open door

not yet sixty
356 more days to go
but I am getting myself into more
misadventures than I'd like.
ah hell,
gives me somethin' to write about.

Z





No comments:

Post a Comment