Tuesday, April 19, 2011

ONCE UPON A TIME...


I was a quilter...
 for years and years and years.
I used to adore all shades of green.
All my green primitive furniture pieces are now 
in the studio or on the porch, no longer 
suited to the rest of the house.


Things change, interests change.
I taught this series of quilts many years ago. 
I had the girls make extra blocks and lattice 
strips from the first bed size quilt.
From those extras we made the next table top quilt,
with some moons thrown in for good measure.


From the extra strips from the tabletop
 quilt we made log cabin blocks 
that became a wall hanging.
This was one of my favorite series of quilts.
Using up, making do, repetition,
a very organized method of quilting.
The bed size one now resides in my studio
 and is my comfort in the big chair in the winter. 
I adored all types of log cabins back then,
 in fabric, wallpaper, birdhouses etc.
I was always drawn to the shape.

( a work in progress)

Recently, I have been fiddling with mixed media.
Similar techniques required, color and balance.. 
yet a totally new creative outlet for me, 
with a huge learning curve.
Then this morning I realized that perhaps 
I had not strayed too far from my roots after all.
Modern cabins anyone?

Z

No comments:

Post a Comment