Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Two Boys


Life gives us unexpected gifts.
I was hoping Dearest Son
would be able to visit a few days this week and 
  a text came at work Wednesday around 11 saying, "I'm leaving now."

He arrived late afternoon and grabbed a coffee 
with his Dad and 
then we were going to dinner.
While waiting for him to return, 
my phone rang and my "other surrogate" son Ivan
called saying. "I'm in town for a few hours,
can we get together?"
I squealed "Guess who else is here!!!"
So last night at around 6:30 I had both boys here on my porch
sipping wine and chowing down some great 
Capriotti's sandwiches and laughing and catching up.

Heaven.
Ben and Ivan became best friends in jr high
and the two spent nearly every school weekend
and summer day here at my house,
because, well, Ivan needed to be here 
with us and we wanted him here.
So birthed by someone else but
a part of this family forever nonetheless.

Insert big contented sigh here
________
now, if only baby girl could be here.
This distance crap sucks, 
sorry,
but it does.
I want to be 3" tall and be able to
 travel along in their pockets
now and then. Not forever,
just a little bit,
just to fill me up with that goopey
oh I love them so feelings to tide me over
until the real big hugs come.

Mom? Dad? I am so sorry I lived so far away,
even though it was beyond my control.
I am so sorry that I never came home enough.
This distance crap has always sucked.
I get it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment