Sunday, April 21, 2013

Kindle Prime is Justified


I pretty much love my Kindle Fire. It sleeps next to my bed, along with my I-phone which I also love.
 
Not only do I use both to check email and news, but the Kindle is used to read books and to watch TV series and the occassional movie late at night when I cannot sleep and nothing else is on.  I also watch at Starbucks, as pictured above. Some of the complete TV series I have watched for free with earphone on and in bed:
  • Justified
  • Downton Abbey
  • Sherlock
  • Single-handed
  • Foyle's War
  • MI-5
  • Doc Martin
  • WhiteChapel
  • Inspector Lewis
  • Wallander

I particularly loved Foyle's War for the weaving of true history and quiet who-dunnit. 

If Graham Green were to write a TV series, it would be Foyle's War.

The song below is one featured on Justified, and it was written by this gentleman, Darrel Scott, who actually is from Kentucky, unlike Dave Alvin who sings it in the series (great voice!) and who is from California.  Patty Loveless and Brad Paisley also sing versions of this song.  Loveless' version is probably my favorite. She's originally from Pikeville, Kentucky.

Pikeville, Kentucky is referenced in this song. It's not too far from Pineville, my father's hometown, which is stuck so deep in the the folds of Pine Mountain, that it's a wonder they see any daylight at all.

Where the sun comes up
about ten in the morning
And the sun goes down
about three in the day
And you fill your cup
with whatever bitter brew you're drinking
And you spend your life
just thinkin' of how to get away.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment