Monday, November 29, 2010

Rituals

Although organized and tidy, as we have discussed in prior posts,
I do not consider myself a ritualistic type.
No one day is similar to the next except in the fact that
they are usually busy days.

The last few weeks I noticed an inclination toward
a daily pattern in many aspects of my life.
Is this due to age or necessity? Am I becoming a
"set in her ways" kind of gal, and
is that a good thing or a bad thing?


Minutes after my feet hit the floor in the morning I am
found here. This cup, this coffee, this creamer.
I used to buy whatever half-caf coffee I came across
but I have settled on this one it seems. I am NOT
a coffee connoisseur by any means., which you can tell
by my no frills machine. I just want 2 cups
that don't bother my stomach and send me into hyper orbit.


I've noticed I now use a soup spoon instead of a teaspoon.
What the heck is that about?

If I back up even one step I smack into these two.
As I enter the kitchen they are tossed a treat from the
dog treat jar on this cart to
tide them over until I pour the coffee.
Then, the looks of "FEED ME.... NOW" ensue.


My ex - ex mother in law ( you figure it out) had a weekly
routine that I found absurd way back when in my mid 20's.
Monday was wash day. Tuesday she ironed.
Wednesday she shopped with her two sisters.
Thursday was clean house day. Every Friday night they had take out pizza.
Sunday dinner was ALWAYS a beef roast, potatoes and green vegetable.
Her home was orderly, very clean and uneventful.
Now that I am about the same age as she was then,
I see a purpose, a rhythm that I now find appealing.
As we age, do most of us find comfort in the ordinary, the routine?
Does it take years of living to obtain the rhythm, the rituals that comfort us,
as our favorite family foods or a cup of coffee do?
Why do I still frequently wear the same torn, stained, paint spattered
faded red zip front sweatshirt purchased from The Limited over 20 years ago?
I have many others, but always reach for this one, as I did this morning.
Comfort ~ Ritual
good things


No comments:

Post a Comment