Thursday, November 18, 2010

Storage Made Easy

Here it is:
The secret to my organization:
I started with an 8x8 sheet of plywood and had the
store rip it into fourths.
Using standard lengths of 1x 4's built shelving to exactly fit
those document boxes you get at big box stores.
Measure twice and cut once.
(BTW I have standard 2 car garage )
You can make these taller, shorter and adapt to fit your space.
Use all plastic bins if desired. The key is no wasted space.
Just enough clearance to slide containers easily,
and don't mix up a bunch of items just so you can stuff it into large bins.


Of course this same system will work with sturdy
metal shelving, found at Costcos or Sams. If I remember correctly
21 of these boxes fit on those shelves with the top row stacked two high.
I have done the exact same thing for clients, who wish
to be able to take the system to their next home.

My bins are placed on the floor so that mopping is a breeze.
Yes, I mop my garage, I was taught the "NAVY way".
I write contents on removable labels because storage needs change.

This is the only shelving doubled in depth, others are singles.
You can see here, where I've removed 2 boxes.
Notice the tags on the front of the shelves. Those identify the back row
at a glance. I bought bins and boxes as I could afford them and as I needed them,
so this can fit every budget. Yes, I had to have all the boxes match..so shoot me.


You can see several bins missing. Those are in the house
as I decorate that particular tree.
That is the second part to how great this system is:
I can grab a bin or 2 boxes, whatever is needed to decorate
a room or a particular tree. I go to the garage and grab
just those containers needed and there is no jumbled mess
of boxes in the home or garage.


I store everything this way, not just decor,
and as a result the closets inside my home are not cluttered.
An added bonus; critters do not
like these painted boxes as compared to standard cardboard.


So there you have it.
Budget friendly if you add to it gradually, adaptable to any
size space and if you wish, totally portable.

No comments:

Post a Comment