Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pump Jacks and Plastic Houses


As we enter election season, it's worth remembering what the REAL threat to hunting is in America, and it's not a loss of guns. As Tom Reed put it back in 2004, writing in High Country News:

A ranch where I once killed a dandy mule deer buck in Wyoming’s Powder River Basin was roaded and tapped for coalbed methane two years ago. It will not recover in my lifetime.

When Bill Clinton was elected to the White House, the pro-gun folks said the government was coming to our doors to take away our rifles, shotguns and pistols. No agent showed up at my place.

But I have seen the place where I used to hunt for pronghorn. There’s a pump jack there now. And there’s a sign that warns me of possible poison gas. And there’s not a pronghorn in sight.

Not everyone is losing their hunting lands to oil rigs.

Some of the land I have hunted on in the past has been lost to church construction, subdivision, and cattle grazing.

One thing is for sure: God is not making more hunting lands. This is a resource we only lose, and once lost, it is lost forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment