Friday, August 5, 2011

Looking Back


It seems she is looking back at me
 often these days, as she goes forth in her new life.
I could not watch the car drive away
 with her and her bags this morning.
Too many looking backs piling up around me.

Hannah and I went to the mall two days ago. I haven't been there in years, but she had a coupon for "free panties" from Victoria's Secret so of course we went because my girl is eternally frugal,
 and the word FREE was too alluring.

While wandering through the mall, we got a little "misty" about her leaving and she kept saying the word "panties" in such a goofy way just to make me laugh, until sure enough, I was snorting coffee out of my nose.


As we walked she kept reaching for my hand or laying her arm across my shoulder. I am her touchstone still.... this grown woman, little girl..
 I am her mama and we love each other so....

She is always looking back, checking that I am still here.
I would never be anywhere else 
for darling daughter and dearest son.
They are my life's work.
"Misty" day here I come and it's only 6:00 am.
sigh


z


No comments:

Post a Comment