Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Project Genesis 9/1/2011


Mother Nature has been wielding 
a heavy hand the past couple of years,
and many people are suffering.
Although there is only so much we are 
able to do to protect ourselves from
occurrences beyond our control, we are not helpless.
We can prepare as much as possible. 
I have had this discussion numerous times with friends
and find my nagging  advice is rarely heeded.
So...once again with enthusiasm, I shall
be the one asking you..
"ARE YOU PREPARED?"

Do you have enough stored water to support
your family's needs for a minimum of three days?
Batteries, lights, food, diapers, medicine?
Are your personal essential papers, 
and photographs copied and in a safe location, 
that is NOT your home?
Do you have an outside number 
where your family can call into
to check in on each other, in case communication
 in some areas of the country are down?
My kids and I will call my brother in another state
to leave messages for each other, 
via Red Cross if necessary.

Do you have a will, a trust for your kids, 
power of attorney for medical and financial, a DNR?
I do not have a crystal ball that predicted disaster
will never come my way, so I will be prepared 
to the best of my ability.

What does this have to do with PG?
I believe it is our obligation to 
take care of ourselves, as much as possible, 
before expecting help elsewhere.
That way the neediest get help first,
reducing strain on our public services.

Of course catastrophic events happen
 that are impossible to prepare for but we 
should never have to say
 "I wish I had, I never expected.. if only..."
Am I ready?
to all of the above...YES, and more.
Here is how prepared you too can easily be.
This is a system I developed a few years ago.




These two wheeled medium size trash cans
contain enough supplies to take
 care of a family of four for over a week.
Right next to them is sufficient water, sleeping bags,
a first aid kit, extra clothing and a tent. 
I grab those, the food in the pantry I have set aside, 
and in under five minutes we can hit the road,
 if we have to evacuate.
I can cook, clean, shower, etc. 
There are leashes, bowls
 and stakes for the pooches, 
and even an emergency toilet.
Knowing I am ready does give me
 comfort and piece of mind.


Maybe you don't wish to go this far, 
I am known to take it to the extreme, 
( no comments you local chums)
but I'm guessing there is something 
you could/should be doing
to be just a bit more ready 
when a bad day comes.
Why not start today?


Please join us here and remember
*Link to your PG post not just to your blog
*Please no self promotion
*Please no thrifting or upcycle posts
I reserve the right to edit any links :D





No comments:

Post a Comment